My question is of a psychiatric nature. My life has

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Fri, 4 Jan 2019 in Mental Health
Question: My question is of a psychiatric nature. My life has turned drastically for the better but I've been miserable since. I have been involved with a new lawyer and banking specialist. I have suffered from depression since being diagnosed with late stage Lyme back in the 90s. I am on meds but am unhappy with my psychiatrist and cannot get an appointment until after New Year's. Question is - Do I tell my lawyer about my high anxiety and depression? I've always been very selective as to whom to tell but I feel it is something he should know about me.
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 26 minutes later
I have been waiting almost 1/2 hour. How much longer?

Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I think yes

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns about disclosing the illness to your lawyer.

Although the question is of subjective nature but I feel it will be better if you can disclose your illness status to your Lawyer. I feel so because knowing you completely will help your lawyer to plan accordingly and use this part whenever necessary. You must be knowing the legal experts use the illness background with emotional colours and this can be of your benefit whenever required.

I hope this helps you in deciding.
Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions.
Thanks and regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 53 minutes later
That was my thinking. Why do we still view mental illness as an embarrassment? People have heart disease, lung disease, etc. and outside world understands. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There is nothing to hide

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up.

Mental illnesses are seen as embarrassment as some people feel that they are weak. In true sense like all other organs, brain can also develop disease and anxiety and depression are one among them. However over the years there is better acceptance with mental illness diagnosis and fortunately stigma is decreasing in recent decades.

So it can be concluded that due to stigma we fear discrimination and that could be the reason for considering mental illness as embarrassment.

Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.

In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-ashok-kumar/67386
Thanks and regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy