Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
153 Doctors are Online

My piercings became infected. Using hydrogen peroxide on it. What else treatment should I take?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 1417 Questions
My ears have been pierced for over 35 years. One of my piercings became infected a few days ago. I removed the earring and cleaned the area with hydrogen peroxide. Some pus came out. It is swollen, red, throbbing, and has hardened around the piercing. What else can I do to treat it?
Posted Wed, 3 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 2 hours later

Thanks for the question.

In view of symptoms, its obvious that the infection has spread to surrounding subcutaneous tissue.

This area is crucial and infection can spread rapidly.So I would recommend course oral antibiotics immediately.For pain and inflammation you can take oral analgesics.

If there is significant pus coming out then you need to drain it out.And if needed you can take doctor's help in this.

Keep the area covered with bandage.

Please ask if there are doubts or further questions.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor