My periods cycle is of 25 days, as per cycle

Dr. Shanti Vennam

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 27 Dec 2018 in Women's Health
Question: My periods cycle is of 25 days, as per cycle my periods were supposed to start on 23rd November but my periods are still due. I used pregnancy kit to check on 5th December but the result was negative, at the same time I feel crumping in lower abdomen from last 2 days.
Is there any chance of incorrect result of pregnancy kit? Also recently from last 15 days I had started physical exercise at home, could it be because of it?
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Further evaluation is needed.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for letting us know your health concern.

In the current scenario, the possible causes for the delayed cycle are- 1. recent change in lifestyle and 2. pregnancy.

Home pregnancy tests read well when performed with a fresh early morning sample of urine. Please use a standard kit and a fresh morning sample. If it is negative, you can opt for the blood test or a sonogram of the pelvis, preferably in the trans-vaginal route. The latter gives very good clarification. If the cramping you are experiencing recently is due to an impending period, observation is needed to see if you receive a period delayed by some transient hormonal change.

Change in lifestyle can alter the hormone milieu thereby causing menstrual aberrations. This is another possible cause.

After the blood test and/or sonogram, if pregnancy is excluded, induction of the period can be tried with medication. The change is usually transient and self-correcting.

Hope this information is useful to you. Please feel free to contact for further clarifications. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng