question-icon

My Niece Is 24 Years Old She By Mistake Swallowed

default
Posted on Sat, 25 Jul 2020
Question: My niece is 24 years old she by mistake swallowed a 1.5 cm hairball while showering her dog last night. Ever since she can%E2%80%99t swallow any food and unable to force vomiting. What is the action she should do, noting that she was trying to avoid visiting hospitals in this pandemic condition.
doctor
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar (49 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Give her some edible oil to drink.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for choosing "Ask a Doctor" service for your query,
Have seen your details and I appreciate your concerns.
I would suggest you to ask your niece to drink some edible oil(this would activate severe vomiting sensation/gag reflux).
If the ball of hair is chocking her Gastro-esophageal junction very likely the ball would move.
As hairs consist of protein Keratin there is no need to worry once it reaches stomach(acid would digest it).
However if even after this she is unable to swallow food you have to take him to Emergency room where with the help of scopes they would remove the clogging hair ball.

Follow up after giving her oil(this activates severe gag reflux).
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
doctor
default
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar (57 minutes later)
she did drink oil and did not vomit. but could swallow a well chewed banana with difficulty and local pain. does she opt to Maalox and repeat oil intakes? I guess it should be local inflammation or swelling rather than blocking?
doctor
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar (41 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Follow up.

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,
In case of block there would be severe fullness sensation and would be very troublesome.
Don't worry it's just mild inflammation and would heal up in 2-3 days.
Ask her to take soft food like fruits(banana kiwi etc) and avoid spices for few days.
No need to give her oil if she can have banana.
It's not obstruction.
Thanks!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
doctor
Answered by
Dr.
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Practicing since :1986

Answered : 2865 Questions

premium_optimized

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

152 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
My Niece Is 24 Years Old She By Mistake Swallowed

Brief Answer: Give her some edible oil to drink. Detailed Answer: Hello and thank you for choosing "Ask a Doctor" service for your query, Have seen your details and I appreciate your concerns. I would suggest you to ask your niece to drink some edible oil(this would activate severe vomiting sensation/gag reflux). If the ball of hair is chocking her Gastro-esophageal junction very likely the ball would move. As hairs consist of protein Keratin there is no need to worry once it reaches stomach(acid would digest it). However if even after this she is unable to swallow food you have to take him to Emergency room where with the help of scopes they would remove the clogging hair ball. Follow up after giving her oil(this activates severe gag reflux). Thank you.