My neck felt strange, I felt like my head was

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Fri, 4 Jan 2019 in Brain and Spine
Question: My neck felt strange, I felt like my head was spinning, I tried to reach for my table and then fell over it.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Several possibilities.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

I wish you had provided some more information regarding when did this happen, how much did the spinning sensation last, is it present now, do you have any other symptoms, have you had any other such episodes or other conditions in the past etc. Such information may allow for a better understanding of the most likely cause and more suited recommendations.

Balance issues and spinning sensation (vertigo) can have different causes. The most common cause would be an inner ear issue which typically manifests such spinning sensations. Antihistamine medication such as meclizine or dimenhydrinate would help and if persisting should see an ENT specialist as for some types of vertigo like benign positional paroxysmal vertigo there are certain head maneuvers which may resolve the symptoms.

Another cause would be a stroke. That would be the most critical diagnosis to exclude, in particular in someone your age which alone is a risk factor for stroke. If you have other symptoms such as headache, double vision, vision loss, difficulty articulating words, any facial asymmetry, weakness or numbness in the limbs then they could be indicators for a stroke and should be taken immediately to the ER. If no other symptoms, only an isolated episode of spinning sensation then it's unlikely.

Another possible cause if you have had a history of neck issues with balance problems would be that of degenerative spinal disease. If you have no such prior history though it's less likely to manifest in such an abrupt manner.

I remain at your disposal for other questions, possibly with the information I mentioned above.
Follow up: Dr. Olsi Taka 5 minutes later
I am taking clopidigrel for a retina occlusion I had 3/2017, thyroid medication, pravastatin, & pantoprozole. I had back surgery in July, L3 & L4
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Read below

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the additional information. I wish you had specified the duration of these complaints and whether there were other symptoms. Anyway I am going to assume that there aren't of the symptoms indicating stroke which I mentioned above.
In that case as I said an inner ear or spinal disease issue would be more likely. For the moment I would take an antivertigo antihistamine medication (like meclizine or dimenhydrinate which I mentioned) and rest.
If the symptoms persist or any new symptoms appear, given the fact that you seem to have several risk factors I would advise being seen at the ER for the possibility of stroke.

Let me know if I can further assist you.
Follow up: Dr. Olsi Taka 14 minutes later
Thank you for the follow up
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
You're welcome, hope you feel better soon.

Detailed Answer: