My mother is 94. Has occasional atrial fib. Usually get

Dr. Jnikolla

Pulmonologist

Posted on Sun, 24 Feb 2019 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: My mother is 94. Has occasional atrial fib. Usually get it controlled by another 25 mg of metoprolol, when it happens. Recently she has developed coughing and chest congestion . No fever. Phlegm is lightly yellow colored. Chest X-ray did not show pneumonia . Doctor prescribed 20 mg of prednisone for 5 days to help chest congestion. Is it safe to take 20 mg prednisone for 5 days —- since she has occasional a fib ? There was an article I read that says prednisone can aggravate atrial fib.
Other meds usually taken are metoprolol
Nifedipine
losartan
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes but add the diuretics too

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome in HCM

I can understand your concern

According to the history you prescribed yes she can safely take steroids but if she were my patient I would also add in the current treatment diuretics such as furosemide intravenous one or twice per day. The usual cause of lung congestion is arterial hypertension too and it should also be treated.

However you should discuss with her treating doctor for the above and please control the arterial pressure during the days of usind prednisolone.Do not worry so much she will feel better soon.

Regards and feel free to contact me again

Dr.Jolanda
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T