question-icon

My mother has a dry, barking cough and gets short

Posted on Tue, 26 Mar 2019
Question: My mother has a dry, barking cough and gets short of breath when coughing. This week she has been sweating a lot and gets all wet. The cough has been persistent since late December. She has a non-turbeculosis microbacterial with bronchietasis. What could she have?
Answered by Dr. Esmeralda Sera (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Bronchiectasis

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking

As you prescribed before your mother suffers from bronchiectasis.

Bronchiectasis is a condition where the bronchial tubes of your lungs are permanently damaged, widened, and thickened. These damaged air passages allow bacteria and mucus to build up and pool in your lungs. This results in frequent infections and blockages of the airways.

There is no cure for bronchiectasis, but it is manageable. With treatment, a patient can typically live a normal life. However, flare-ups must be treated quickly to maintain oxygen flow to the rest of your body and prevent further lung damage.

I will suggest a radiography of thorax ,and consult with lung specialist

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Esmeralda Sera

Oncologist