My mother after ovarian cancer stage IIIC surgery (Cyto reduction

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 2 Apr 2019 in Women's Health
Question: My mother after ovarian cancer stage IIIC surgery (Cyto reduction (Diagnostic laparoscopy-staging laparotomy+TAH+BSO+Pelvic peritonectomy+Segmental traverse colectomy+ Bilateral sub diaphragmic peritonectomy). If possible pls explain in common language. The following issues we are facing
i) She is feeling intermittently breathing problem and still in ICU approx 20 days. At the time of breathing problem SPO2 level is decreasing. If oxygen given for sometime through pipe she is feeling OK. Spirometer test she is doing upt 300 only. Is it be improved?
ii) From Drain pipes white liquid is coming more instead of yellow discharge, what may be the reason and why?

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
It takes time to recover from such a major surgery.

Detailed Answer:
Your mother had an extensive major surgery and it takes time to recover from such a surgery. The breathing problem she has is related to lumg problem that has not recovered after the anaesthesia. This can be related to other chronic problems like hypertension, diabetes pr extreme weakness. This will gradually improve as she gains strength.
The drain pipes are put so that the extra drainage comes out and any infection or bleeding in the abdomen can be detected. The white fluid is a normal drainage. Yellowish fluid will indicate an infection. Gradually the fluid discharge will decrease and after that the drain will be removed.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T