My mom has high blood pressure . Head ache, nape

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 18 Dec 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My mom has high blood pressure. Head ache, nape ache and feels like vomiting. She feels her head spinning. The result of every test is okay even the ctscan is normal. but the doctors cant figure out why she still feels like that. They gave her betahistine and amlodipine. but still not effective. They even advise to put her in icu. They still cant figure out what's wrong with her. What are the possible cause of these?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome to Ask a Doctor service!

I understand your concern and would explain that your mother's symptoms could be related to an inner ear disorder or a viral infection (vestibular neuronitis)

Although she is taking betahistine, it does not have an immediate effect.

Coming to this point, I agree with the doctors that hospitalization and intravenous fluids (including Manitol) may be needed.

I would also recommend performing a brain MRI and labyrinthine tests, to check for an inner ear disorder.

In the meantime, I would recommend starting Dimenhydrinate for the head spinning and nausea.

You should discuss with her doctor on the above treatment options.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Ilir Sharka, Cardiologist