Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

168 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

My married son, 33 years old, is suffering genital warts

Answered by
Dr. Arnab Banerjee

Critical Care Specialist

Practicing since :2012

Answered : 1202 Questions

Posted on Mon, 17 Dec 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My married son, 33 years old, is suffering genital warts since two weeks ago. It's spreading heavily. Is it dangerous? What is the cure for such case?
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Cryotherapy with liquid Nitrogen or curettage is generally recommended...

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome to 'Ask A Doctor' service...
I've gone through your query in details...
I can understand your concern...

First of all, it's important to know if he's recently married. If yes, then both the partners need to be examined and investigated for STDs (this includes Standard STD screening tests including HPV). Based on the findings, treatment can be initiated.

Since it's spreading heavily, I'd recommend getting tested at first before deciding upon any specific treatment course as there are several different infections or even co-existing factors that can worsen the pre-existing infection.

Ideally, both of them should get checked up by either an STD specialist (Venerologist) or a Dermatologist followed by getting tested at first, further plan of management can be done based on the findings...

Generally speaking, if it's turned out to be HPV infection/outbreak, then Cryotherapy with liquid Nitrogen or curettage can be done. It's an OPD based treatment only, done by the Dermatologists then and there, but he may require multiple follow-ups to monitor on the progress.

There are other chemical agents also, like Imiquimod or Podofilox gel, but they require a longer time of treatment and outcomes are also quite mixed.

So, please go ahead with the Dermatologist/Venereologists check-up at first to exactly diagnose the case/s, necessary treatment can be done thereafter...

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Take Care
Kind Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on