My left tonsil has been swollen and white for about

Question
My left tonsil has been swollen and white for about a week and I’ve already gone to the doctor who said to treat myself as if I had a virus and gave me ibuprofen for the pain and swelling. When I was brushing my teeth this morning a piece of my tonsil has completely just fallen off and there is no bleeding or discomfort should I be worried?
Sun, 4 Feb 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Shinas Hussain 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It could be tonsillitis. No need to worry.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting Healthcaremagic!
I have gone though your query and I can understand your concerns.
As per your description it seems that you are having tonsillitis. It is nothing but infection/inflammation of your tonsils. Other possibilities are pharyngeal candidiasis( a kind of fungal infection) or mononeucleosis( kind of viral infection).
No need to worry as of now.
I suggest you to consult a general practitioner and get the following things done:
1. Start a short course of antibiotics for five to seven days.
2. You can take analgesics like paracetamol for pain.
3. Do warm saline gargles or gargling with chlorhexidine mouth wash.
4. You can take antihistamines like ceterezine for symptomatic relief.
Most cases resolve in few days. If symptoms persist, kindly consult an ENT specialist.
Wishing you good Health.
Thanks