My left heel hurts. I am unaware of anything that

Question
My left heel hurts. I am unaware of anything that I did to injure it. I am also diabetic. Would that play a part in the pain?
Tue, 6 Feb 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it is a possible cause

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Diabetes can be associated with pain in the feet ,usually due to damage to the nerves.
This pain tends to occur mostly at night and can sometimes be associated with other sensations such as tingling, burning, numbness etc.
Pain killers such as ibuprofen/cataflam/naproxen etc , can sometimes help. Some persons may need medication specific for nerve related pain.

Pain in the heel can sometimes be due to plantar fasciitis, also known as a spur. It is due to inflammation of a ligament that lies to the bottom of the foot, it is connected to the bone at the heel.

This is treated by staying off the foot as much as possible, anti inflammatory medication such as ibuprofen, naproxen or voltaren and also certain stretching exercises (pictures on internet- exercises for plantar fasciitis)

Your doctor may need to examine and assess you to find the cause for you but if this is not possible at this time then consider the medication mentioned and staying off the foot whenever possible.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions