Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
151 Doctors are Online

My husbands having severe pain in his hip, back, knee,

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Critical Care Specialist
Practicing since : 2012
Answered : 825 Questions
My husbands having severe pain in his hip, back, knee, shin and ankle on one side. He has difficulty standing straight. Holding things in front of himself isn't possible. Tomorrow through Monday he is going out of town but won't be able to function very well. Wondering if we can get a script for a muscle relaxer to help him make it through the weekend and easy part of the week. Once he returns he will be off to see a doctor. Think it's sciatica.
Sat, 10 Feb 2018 in Internal Doctor Category
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
please follow the advice and observe how he stays...

Detailed Answer:
Hello Cristy77,
Welcome to HealthcareMagic,

I've gone through your query and understand your concerns for your husband,

First of all, don't let him exert at all, and just sit/lie down for the time being... Instead of only Ibuprofen, you may give him analgesics PARACETAMOL (Tylenol) 650mg three times daily and Ibuprofen 400mg twice daily in between (after some food) for the next 2-3 days and observe how he stays...Painkillers may cause some hyperacidity/gastric irritation, to prevent this, he can also take an antacid (eg. Omeprazole or Prilosec 20mg once daily for the time being)...

Also, continue alternate hot-cold compression for a quick relief, additionally you can also apply Diclofenac Spray over the affected region twice to thrice daily (just apply gently and do not massage)...

This should take care of the pain for the time being.. If despite this, pain doesn't relief, then you can visit the nearest ER for a prompt check-up and stronger pain-killers (please note that muscle-relaxants are strictly prescription based medications and beyond the scope of the online medical forum). However, with the above-mentioned measures, I'd expect the pain to relieve within a while.

If it still doesn't improve then a quick visit to the nearest ER will facilitate with the stronger analgesics.

Let me know if I can assist you further...

Take Care
Kind Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor