My husband just recently had knee surgery . His swelling
different possible causes
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic
There are different lesions that can occur in the area of the knee joint. Soft lesions like you are describing may be a type of cyst or cyst appearing lesion. Cysts can occur as a result of trauma such as surgery, in some persons, there is no obvious cause.
There are different categories or types of cysts such as those that are formed from sac that are already present. These sacs are called bursa.
They can become inflamed or irritated and the amount of fluid increases with associated discomfort, this is called bursitis eg iliotibial bursitis , prepatella bursitis, semimembranous tibial collateral bursitis
These names just refer to where the bursa are located (which muscles or other soft tissue are nearby).
These are only some of the bursitis lesions that can occur in the knee joint. In most cases of bursitis- rest and restricted activity along with anti inflammatory meds (eg naproxen or ibuprofen etc)- are helpful.
Additional treatment if no improvement or worsening
Cyst like lesions were mentioned earlier, these include- hematoma (collection of blood in an area to form a lump/lesion/swelling), seroma (collection of clear fluid that can occur post surgery), abscess (collection of pus/discharge)
Treatment of these cyst like lesions would depend on the exact diagnosis. Hematoma and seroma are mainly monitored.
An abscess is incised and drained, antibiotics given.
Imaging of the knee may be needed for an exact diagnosis which would then help determine the best course of action
I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Can Hydroxyzine be taken for urinary tract and bladder infections?
- What causes black colored stool?
- What causes dizziness in an elderly person post suffering a concussion?
- What does severe atrophy in a MRI report indicate?
- What causes electric shock like sensation in the arms radiating to the...
- Suggest treatment for swollen lymph nodes and fever in a child
- What does resting heart beat of 52 indicate?
- What causes diarrhea and upper right abdominal pain?
- Is Oxycodone 10/325 different from Oxycodone 114?
- Can Antabuse cause dizziness?