My husband just recently had knee surgery . His swelling

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Fri, 25 Jan 2019 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My husband just recently had knee surgery. His swelling is getting worse not better. It has been 2 weeks post op. He now has developed a lump on the outside of his knee which is red and squishy. His whole knee is rock solid except this lump that is mushy like. We went to a walk in clinic since our surgeon is 300 miles away and he said he was going to take a picture and send it to a friend for help :(
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
different possible causes

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

There are different lesions that can occur in the area of the knee joint. Soft lesions like you are describing may be a type of cyst or cyst appearing lesion. Cysts can occur as a result of trauma such as surgery, in some persons, there is no obvious cause.

There are different categories or types of cysts such as those that are formed from sac that are already present. These sacs are called bursa.
They can become inflamed or irritated and the amount of fluid increases with associated discomfort, this is called bursitis eg iliotibial bursitis , prepatella bursitis, semimembranous tibial collateral bursitis
These names just refer to where the bursa are located (which muscles or other soft tissue are nearby).
These are only some of the bursitis lesions that can occur in the knee joint. In most cases of bursitis- rest and restricted activity along with anti inflammatory meds (eg naproxen or ibuprofen etc)- are helpful.

Additional treatment if no improvement or worsening

Cyst like lesions were mentioned earlier, these include- hematoma (collection of blood in an area to form a lump/lesion/swelling), seroma (collection of clear fluid that can occur post surgery), abscess (collection of pus/discharge)
Treatment of these cyst like lesions would depend on the exact diagnosis. Hematoma and seroma are mainly monitored.
An abscess is incised and drained, antibiotics given.

Imaging of the knee may be needed for an exact diagnosis which would then help determine the best course of action

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions