Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

122 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

My husband is suffering from two failed back surgeries. We

Answered by
Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2013

Answered : 5705 Questions

Posted on Mon, 21 Jan 2019 in General Health
Question: My husband is suffering from two failed back surgeries. We have tried physical therapy, acupuncture, and marijuana (non-smoking). He takes 2 tablets per day of hydrocodone. He is 83-years old and likely could live at least another ten years based on family history. He recently received a shot in his spine and it provided no relief. I hate to see him suffer so and have his quality of life so diminished. He has always been an athletic and energetic man. Can you suggest an avenue to take that we haven't tried?
Answered by Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Pain management options explained below in details.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear and welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

I am sorry that your husband is in pain.

I see that you have already used many of the options of the pain management.

I would recommend using hydrocodone/acetaminophen named Vicodin.

It is a more effective medication than just hydrocodone.

If the pain does not relieve he can take Hydromorphone which is a medication used for severe pain.

Both of the medications are prescribed, so he should consult his doctor before using them.

Other possible options can be antidepressant medications such as Celexa. This is also a prescription medication which may help in relieving the pain.

I also recommend using cold and heat pads for local treatment especially during exercise.

Electrotherapy is a another option to relieve the pain. It uses low voltage of electric stimulation in the area of pain.

This treatment is done at the doctor's office, so you should consult a neurologist.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi 4 hours later
Thank you so much for taking the time to help me in my search. I'll continue my quest.
Answered by Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome dear.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again dear,

I am glad I could help you.

You are welcome for any other queries in the future.

Wishing you and your husband a good health. it

Take care,

Dr.Dorina Gurabardhi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on