My husband is a 57 yr old male and the

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Wed, 3 Apr 2019 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My husband is a 57 yr old male and the last few weeks he’s been complaining about his kidneys hurting? We are in the middle of remodeling our house with a lot of physical activity that he’s not used to. Along with not getting enough sleep, stress, and not eating very healthy. Should I be concerned?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

If it is truly his kidneys that are hurting, then yes, he should be seen for evaluation of possible infection or developing stones. But if it is both flanks, it may be muscle strain from the remodeling.

A kidney infection usually makes people feel overall ill, nauseated, and a fever.
Kidney stones usually don't happen on both sides equally and don't usually start at the same time.
Other kidney problems can present with blood in the urine or decreased urine production.
Muscle strain can be in the same area, and usually is worse with different positions (using the involved muscles).

If you think this may be a kidney issue, he should be seen in person and have a urinalysis and possibly a urine culture. And if there is speculation about a stone, then an xray can be helpful.

I hope this information gives you a place to start. Please let me know if I can provide further information or clarification.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana