Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
130 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

My husband is a 57 yr old male and the

Answered by
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :1991

Answered : 3129 Questions

Posted on Wed, 3 Apr 2019 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My husband is a 57 yr old male and the last few weeks he’s been complaining about his kidneys hurting? We are in the middle of remodeling our house with a lot of physical activity that he’s not used to. Along with not getting enough sleep, stress, and not eating very healthy. Should I be concerned?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

If it is truly his kidneys that are hurting, then yes, he should be seen for evaluation of possible infection or developing stones. But if it is both flanks, it may be muscle strain from the remodeling.

A kidney infection usually makes people feel overall ill, nauseated, and a fever.
Kidney stones usually don't happen on both sides equally and don't usually start at the same time.
Other kidney problems can present with blood in the urine or decreased urine production.
Muscle strain can be in the same area, and usually is worse with different positions (using the involved muscles).

If you think this may be a kidney issue, he should be seen in person and have a urinalysis and possibly a urine culture. And if there is speculation about a stone, then an xray can be helpful.

I hope this information gives you a place to start. Please let me know if I can provide further information or clarification.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on