question-icon

My husband is 58 years old. Two years ago his

Posted on Sun, 24 Mar 2019
Question: My husband is 58 years old. Two years ago his PSA was 3.4, it is now 4.26. He is scheduled for a biopsy this week. He had a digital exam last week and the prostate felt normal. What is your opinion on the plan set forth?
Answered by Dr. Manuel C See IV (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
It will be wise to do the biopsy.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for being with healthcare magic!

Yes it would be prudent to get a biopsy and go from there. A rising psa for your husband warrants a prostate biopsy. As of this time only a biopsy can determine if your husband is harboring prostate cancer or not and no imaging can supplant a biopsy. At this PSA level one out of 3 patients will be diagnosed to have a prostate cancer.

A prostate biopsy is an outpatient procedure and could be done under local anesthesia.

I hope i have answered your question satisfactorily.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Manuel C See IV

Urologist