Ask a Urologist   »  

My husband has been ill since 12/26. It started with

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016
Excellent

Urologist
Question
My husband has been ill since 12/26. It started with hemorrhoids & then several abscesses on his prostrate. He needed a catheter for a week & once removed from the hospital he ended up with a severe stomach virus. Now he has blood in his urine. Does he need to see a GI specialist.
.
Fri, 9 Feb 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
He needs to consult Urologist

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for query .

Based on the facts that you have stated the blood in urine that your husband has is mostly due to acute fulminating infection of Prostate resulting out of multiple Prostatic abscesses .

He needs to consult qualified Urologist for clinical assessment and get following basic tests done
1) Urine routine and culture.
2) Ultrasound scanning of abdomen and pelvis
3) Serum PSA.
4) MRI of pelvis to detect prostatic abscesses .

He needs to be treated with higher antibiotics like Imepenum and may need drainage of Prostatic abscesses endoscopically or resection of Prostate .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: My husband has been ill since 12/26. It started with 18 minutes later
He had all of the above done by the Dr in ER after the 3rd time he was there. The Ultrasound showed several abscesses & he was given a catheter & antibiotics. It was taken out last Friday & he’s lost 27 lbs in 3 weeks. Can’t stand the thought of, site or smell of cooking. He finally ate today & wasn’t nauseous. His follow up appt with the urologist indicated normal blood draw on prostrate issues but blood in his urine. He goes back in a week.

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Prostatic abscesses are the cause for his symptoms

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up .

Since he is already investigated and have been diagnosed having multiple abscesses in prostate leading to blood in urine due to severe infection is the cause of prime concern for his deteriorating health.It is important to drain out these abscesses by suitable modality .

Try to fix an appointment with Urologist at earliest.

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.