question-icon

My husband has been experiencing blood in his stool since

Posted on Sat, 19 Jan 2019
Question: My husband has been experiencing blood in his stool since last night. It is bright red and appears to be fresh blood. My hunch is that it is a bleeding hemorrhoid (may be more than one). He thinks it is internal bleeding like an ulcer. How can I tell the difference?

Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar (6 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Proctoscopic examinaton to be done.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome to 'Ask A Doctor' service.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice
Until and unless the hemorrhoid is outside anal canal i.e grade 2,3or grade 4 you could observe it visually.To differentiate it from ulcers Proctoscopic examinaton of rectal canal has to be done by a surgeon.Internal hemorrhoodvmiy
Till examination is done if you could see it hanging outside anus apply pereperation H otherwise get him examined.
Thanks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist