My husband had massive heart attack 8 years ago (LAD

Cardiologist
Question
My husband had massive heart attack 8 years ago (LAD 100% blocked). It was a miracle that he survived.
After HA his EF was 35%; Diagnosis: CHF, CAD. He has a defibrillator. Unfortunately now he has a terrible stress (his sun was diagnosed with a very bad brain tumor glioblastoma,) and his CHF is worsening: BNP, NTBNP jumped up, EF dropped to 25%. Our alternative medicine doctor recommend to take supplement D-Ribose to increase EF and improve cardiac muscle work. What is your advice? Is it beneficial for him or can bring unexpected damage to his weak heart?
Thank you very much XXXXXXX
Wed, 31 Jan 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello Ella!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I passed carefully through your question and would explain that there are many studies, which support the benefits of D-Ribose on the heart muscle, in increasing its tone and contractility.

So, it is OK to take this supplement, although it does not lead to any miracle. It may help improve his situation in a modest way.

As a cardiologist, I would also strongly encourage to follow his cardiologist advices and recommended therapy (the medications that he is taking now), which are based on specified medical guidelines for heart failure.

L-carnitine may have beneficial effects too.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri

Follow-up: My husband had massive heart attack 8 years ago (LAD 21 hours later
Dear doctor,
Thank you very much for your response.
Please, give us your recommendations how to take D-Ribose and L-carnitine.

1. Doses for D-Ribose and L-carnitine.
2. To take: before food, with food, after food, between food, or it does not matter.
3. Morning or evening, or it does not matter?
4. Are any contraindications or interactions with my husband's medications?
5. Can he take D-Ribose and L-carnitine together and with his medications or may be to separate with some of them?
6.How long to take? (2-3 months; to start and stop or on permanent basis, the same way as his regular medications)
7.What supplement company would you trust and recommend?

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

Regarding D-Ribose, I would recommend taking 15gram four times daily with food. There is not any specific brand name, but you can find it with different names like: Ribosa, D- Ribosa, etc..

Regarding L-carnitine, I would recommend taking 500mg twice daily with or after food. You can find it with names like Carnitor, carnitine, etc..

These drugs do not have any interactions with each other or with your current therapy. So, you can take them at the same time.

I would recommend taking them for a couple of months, and see if your husband feels better. In such case he may continue taking them.

Hope to have clarified some of your uncertainties!

Wishing all the best,

Dr. Iliri

Follow-up: My husband had massive heart attack 8 years ago (LAD 18 hours later
Dear doctor,
I'd like to clarify for myself several things:
1. Is daily dose for D-Ribose 60 grams?
2. My husband works. He is not able to take supplement 4 times a day. Can he divide total dose on 2 and take 30 grams in the morning and 30 grams in the evening?
3.Can he dilute powder in water and drink it during the day?
4.Can he prepare solution for several days? If "yes", should he keep it in the refrigerator?
Thank you very much

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would recommned as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

I recommend taking a daily dose of 15 mg per day, divided in smaller portions (three or four times daily).

As it is difficult taking it more frequently, I would recommend starting twice daily by 5mg and increasing slowly to 15 mg daily dose.

It can be diluted in water and held in the refrigerator as well. I would not recommend prepare the solution for several days, from the risk of dosing mistakes and precipitation.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Wishing all the best,

Dr. Iliri