My husband had a colonoscopy this past Monday. He woke

Gastroenterologist
Question
My husband had a colonoscopy this past Monday. He woke up last night around 11 and found clots of blood in his rectum. He pooped but there was a lot of blood. He again woke up at 4 this morning finding blood again in his stools. Bright red. Now the bleeding has stopped. He is feeling better. No confusion or dizziness. He says he just wants to sit and see if it starts again. I suggested the emergenvy room, but he says the bleeding has stopped. They did remove 2 polps. What to do now. Worried Wife.
Mon, 5 Feb 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Follow-up: My husband had a colonoscopy this past Monday. He woke 35 minutes later
Please help me. I need an answer Doctor about my husband.

Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No need to panic at this moment

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the query,
I've gone through your details.

Unless bleeding is massive he need not visit emergency. Whenever a procedure is performed intact mucosal lining of the rectoanal canal is breached which may cause mild bleed when patient pass stools.
Right now no need to panic but keep a watch on the stools.

A CBC could be done to look for anemia arising out of this bleeding.
I would also suggest him to take a stool softener for few weeks!

Let me know if I could assist you further.
Regards.

Follow-up: My husband had a colonoscopy this past Monday. He woke 27 minutes later
So If he still have blood clots in his stools today which are again bright red, take him to emergency?

Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
follow up.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back,

No, then take him to a General surgeon and get a Protoscopic examination done at the earliest. It's a five-minute procedure.

If its normal then go for a sigmoidoscopy to rule out the site of bleed.