My husband (almost 75) had had 4 different cancers in

Dr. Deepak Sundriyal

Oncologist

Posted on Thu, 27 Dec 2018 in Cancer
Question: My husband (almost 75) had had 4 different cancers in 4.5 years. None have metastasized. Throughout various tests (CT and chest scan) I have read that in both his heart and in carotid artery there is "excessive" calcification. Today he looks pretty bad and is complaining of swollen ankles and tingling in his feet. Could these be related?
Follow up: Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 20 minutes later
He had lung cancer (removed, no follow up treatment) , then bladder cancer (bulbous type, remove chem bladder rinse, no follow up) prostate cancer (radiation seeds, follow up tests indicate it was successful). Last month had bladder cancer again, removed, it was "the flat more aggressive type". Going to have 6 weeks of GCB(?) "bladder flush" with medication used for TB, then wait 4 weeks and do another biopsy.

He looks terrible. Throughout this, he has had various CT scans, etc. As I read the reports, there is calcification in his heart arteries and "excessive" calcification in the u-shape part of his carotid artery. Today he came home, looks horrible, and complained of swollen ankles and tingling in his feet. I am very worries. As a younger wife, with 3 children. He smoked for way too many years and has COPD (no oxygen). I have noticed a definite change in mood and temperament. I am concerned that the lung doctor is only looking at the lungs and is not responding to the clogged arteries, and the eye doctor (CT scan that mentioned excessive calcification from CT scan is only looking at orbital issues (he fell a couple of months ago- no issues but CT was ordered). I am seeing a bigger picture and that he may die of a stroke or cardiac arrest. What's up with he swollen ankles and tingling?

How long does it take to get an opinion?

Very concerned working wife and mother, Karen
Answered by Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Regarding the swollen ankles and tingling, it is not related to cancer

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear.
I have gone through the details you provided.

So he is very fortunate to be a brave fighter through all these cancers. The causes of swollen ankles and tingling can be low protein levels in the body, reduced venous flow due to fragile blood vessels and sometimes transient neuropathy

These all are usually age-related changes.
Even, at this age, some form of cardiac dysfunction an lead to swollen ankles. Certainly, it's not due to cancer.

Thanks and regards
Feel free to ask further questions

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 47 minutes later
Thank you for your response. I am aware that it is not due to cancer. My concern is that it would be related the the clogged arteries and possible failure of of circulation. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello. Clogged arteries won't cause this

Detailed Answer:
Hello.

So, clogged arteries won't cause this, rather heart failure of varying degrees can be a cause.

Thanks and regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy