My husband, 88, woke up late this morning, complaining of

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2017
Mar 2017

Cardiologist
Question
My husband, 88, woke up late this morning, complaining of pain in his chest. Straight across his chest. Then he had a couple of really sharp pains and winced twice. I took BP: 139/77, pulse 83. We were deciding what to do, when the pain went away. We are all snowed in this morning. I tried to call our cardiologist, but the telephone line was not working; same with our primary. Now he's up and around and feeling normal. What do you think?
Thu, 8 Feb 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please refer to the detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hello Ma'am

After going through the medical details provided by you I would like to tell you that considering his age group and the symptoms which you have mentioned points us towards cardiac etiology which should be ruled out by few basic cardiac tests.

As he is asymptomatic as of now and also his blood pressure and heart rate were good so there is nothing to rushed for. However make sure he will not indulge himself in any sternous physical activity.

Also personally consult your doctor as soon possible as few tests like

1. Cardiac enzymes levels
2. ECG
3. Echocardiography

Needs to be done to rule out any cardiac pathology.

I hope this information will be helpful.

Kind regards
Dr Bhanu partap

Follow-up: My husband, 88, woke up late this morning, complaining of 2 hours later
Thank you, Dr. XXXXXXX Partap. We were in a panic this morning whether to call 911 or go to ER, or go to Urgent Care, when the pain suddenly stopped. He's okay now and wants to shovel the snow off the driveway, but I told him what you said, and so I will pamper him the rest of the evening. Thank you.
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hello Again

Detailed Answer:
You made a right decision by not allowing him do that. It's my pleasure helping someone in need.

Don't forget to write my name in your question if you want my opinion in your future queries.

I wish him good health.

Kind regards
Dr Bhanu partap