question-icon

My grandpa's troponin level is 74 slightly increased from yesterday.

Posted on Sat, 9 Feb 2019
Question: My grandpa's troponin level is 74 slightly increased from yesterday. EKG was unremarkable. He lost 6 pounds overnight from a lasix bolus he was given. His blood pressure is 80/65. What is going on and what can we do to fix it?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka (21 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome to Ask a Doctor service!

I understand your concern and would explain that your grandpa's symptoms could be related to heart failure.

Increased troponin levels could also be related to inflammation, considering the normal ECG.

I would like to know if he has leg swelling or shortness of breath.

Coming to this point, I would recommend performing some tests to investigate for the possible causes underlying his clinical situation:

- a cardiac ultrasound and NT pro BNP levels for heart failure
- complete blood count for anemia
- blood electrolytes for possible imbalance
- kidney and liver function tests for possible dysfunction.

You should discuss with his doctor on the above tests.

Hope to have been helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. llir Sharka, Cardiologist
Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist