My granddaughter has has swelling of knee, hands and hip

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 29 Mar 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My granddaughter has has swelling of knee, hands and hip pain. She has gone to several doctors for about 18 months now with no answers she has seen a rheumatologist she has seen a juvenile orthopedic dr and an MD. She got a rash on her cheeks about a month ago and now one of her toes is swollen painful and red. Went to ER and was told she had a staph infection with no apparent sore or cut can you give me an answer as to where we go or what do now Also her hands stay extremely cold and are cold to the touch.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please give additional information and post reports of investigations

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Noted the history about your 16 year old granddaughter and understood the concerns.
Please give additional details for me to assist her better:
What are the investigations done? Please post reports.
Opinion of each Specialist?
Any probable diagnosis made so far?
Any treatment? Effects of treatment?
Is the rash on cheeks permanent
Has she been started on any antibiotic as ER said about infection?
Also post the clear and focused photos of affected parts.

Awaiting for the details.
Dr. T. Chandrakant.
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 13 minutes later
She has had blood work done which didn’t show much. Her kidney function was low at the time but is better now. She had X-ray on her hips which showed arthritis in both. She was informed to keep getting blood work done as symptoms prevail. They are thinking Lupus or Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis but no answers yet. Was told it could take awhile to confirm a diagnosis. She has had blood work done every 3 month which has been inconclusive. No treatment yet. Rash on checks went away in about a week. Not sure what antibiotic they put her on but yes they did give her antibiotics for her toe.
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 20 minutes later
Any advice you can give as to what kind of Dr to see would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
As discussed below.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your feedback.
I would advise her the following in such a situation:
MRI of the hip joints is a must.
Vitamin D blood levels and correction if less than normal under Doctor's guidance.
I am sure all rheumatological, autoimmune disorder tests must have been done.

I hope this answer helps.
It is good that she has been put on antibiotic.
Also important is psychological factor as she is 16 and suffering from such diseases or disorders. Needs great support for positive outcome.

Please give further feedback.
With Regards.
Dr T Chandrakant.