My feet have been swollen and painful for 6 days

Dr. Ornela Ademovi

Posted on Mon, 11 Mar 2019 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My feet have been swollen and painful for 6 days now. I have kept them elevated as much as possible. I also have been avoiding food with salt to no avail. I also take lasix daily. They are still swollen upon waking.
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Heart, kidneys and liver need to be checked

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern. When diagnosing the cause of feet swelling, it is most important to rule out first any problem with the heart, kidneys or the liver, as in this case, swelling of the feet may indicate a problem with these organs. Swelling especially in the evening is an indication of salt and water retaining as a result of a right heart failure, so I recommend you do a heart ultrasound as a first step. Also, when the kidneys are not functioning properly it may lead to fluid build up in the body. A urine test and kidney ultrasound is recommended. In liver disease there is inadequate protein production and as a result there is fluid leakage, which due to gravity, is more visible in the feet and ankles.

If you have diabetes, swelling of the feet may be a sign of infection.

Once these main causes are safely excluded, a simpler explanation of swelling of the feet may be the medication you are taking. Some blood pressure medication, anti-depressants or diabetes medication are known to cause swelling of the feet, so you might want to check with your PCP and consider switching to another medication.

I hope this answers your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Ornela Ademovi 12 hours later
Since I have chf and lbbb, I realize it’s probably my chf. I am on vacation can I wait till I get home to see my doctor
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Look out for shortness of breath

Detailed Answer:
If, besides the leg swelling, you experience shortness of breath, cough or wheezing, confusion, increased heart beating, fatigue or loss of appetite, you should seek medical attention as soon as possible.
Please remember to take your medication regularly as prescribed and see your PCP as soon as you get back from your vacation.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad