My Father Lives In Iraq. Last Year, He Had A
My father's doctor said that he shouldn't have a surgery, he said that my father should lose some weight, avoid some types of foods, and avoids carrying anything. He is 97Kg/214lb, he is 77 year old.
The information my father is looking for is: can a hernia be treated without a surgery? And do you have any recommendations for my father?
hernia not treatable without surgery. recommendations as below.
Hello and welcome to Ask A Doctor services.
I have read your query with attached ultrasound report.
* As per my surgical experience, the report is indicative of large iliac hernia
of around 44 mm size.
* There is no cure of hernia without surgery ; though certain measures
would help to slow the progress of hernia a bit over period of time as
- weight reduction
- avoidance of strenuous activities as weight lifting, aerobics
- maintaining regular bowel evacuations and urination
- food intake will indirectly affect hernia as low fat diet will reduce weight
and fat content of body including omentum of abdomen
- prompt treatment of any respiratory infection to avoid excess coughing
- avoidance of smoking if applicable
* As the report is suggestive of no intestine loops at present, there is only
omental fat ; there is absolute no emergency of surgery, but a planned
surgery with repair defect by Prolene MESH is best remedy provided he is
fit physically and anesthetic point of view.
* I again repeat that measures advised by his doctor will help to slow down
the progress of the hernia, but not cure it.
* A second opinion with another expert surgeon is best recommended in this
Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you any further.
Wish uncle best recovery.
Dr Bhagyesh ( MS consultant surgeon )