My eye is irritated and red. There is puss stuff

Dr. Aaron Branch

Posted on Thu, 28 Feb 2019 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: My eye is irritated and red. There is puss stuff coming out. Is this pink eye and if so what is the cure?
Answered by Dr. Aaron Branch 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
See below

Detailed Answer:
Hello, I'm Dr. Branch, thanks for using Ask a Doctor.

If your eye just recently became red and irritated, and you do not have any change in vision, feel like there's something in the eye, or have a hard time keeping the eye open because of sensitivity to light, then yes, this is most likely pink eye, or conjunctivitis. The main types of infectious conjunctivitis are viral and bacterial. The amount of discharge or pus coming from the eye can help determine which one is more likely. If you just have some crusting in the morning and then throughout the day have a watery, thin discharge from the eye, this would be most likely viral. A bacterial conjunctivitis has thick discharge that needs to be wiped away continuously throughout the day.

If you have viral conjunctivitis, there is no cure, though some patients report some relief with antihistamine/decongestant eye drops such as Naphcon-A. Like a cold, viral conjunctivitis is very contagious and may get worse over the first 3 to 5 days before gradually improving over the next couple weeks. Bacterial conjunctivitis should be treated with antibiotic eye drops which would need to be prescribed by your doctor.

I hope that helps, please let me know if you have any other questions about that and I would be glad to discuss it with you further. If you are not sure about whether the discharge appears to be from a viral or bacterial infection, you could also send a picture of your eye and that may help me to determine which one it most likely is.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Aaron Branch 5 hours later
I believe it is a bacterial infection. There is a lot coming from my eye. Is there an Otc medicine i can use
Answered by Dr. Aaron Branch 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
See below

Detailed Answer:
Unfortunately, no, there's is not an OTC antibiotic eye drop available, you will need to see a doctor to get a prescription for one.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Aaron Branch 1 hour later
theres no way for you to write a prescription
Answered by Dr. Aaron Branch 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
The online prescription is beyond the scope of this medical forum

Detailed Answer:
I'm sorry,

Unfortunately, we cannot prescribe medications through the online medical forum.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee