My eye is irritated and red. There is puss stuff
Hello, I'm Dr. Branch, thanks for using Ask a Doctor.
If your eye just recently became red and irritated, and you do not have any change in vision, feel like there's something in the eye, or have a hard time keeping the eye open because of sensitivity to light, then yes, this is most likely pink eye, or conjunctivitis. The main types of infectious conjunctivitis are viral and bacterial. The amount of discharge or pus coming from the eye can help determine which one is more likely. If you just have some crusting in the morning and then throughout the day have a watery, thin discharge from the eye, this would be most likely viral. A bacterial conjunctivitis has thick discharge that needs to be wiped away continuously throughout the day.
If you have viral conjunctivitis, there is no cure, though some patients report some relief with antihistamine/decongestant eye drops such as Naphcon-A. Like a cold, viral conjunctivitis is very contagious and may get worse over the first 3 to 5 days before gradually improving over the next couple weeks. Bacterial conjunctivitis should be treated with antibiotic eye drops which would need to be prescribed by your doctor.
I hope that helps, please let me know if you have any other questions about that and I would be glad to discuss it with you further. If you are not sure about whether the discharge appears to be from a viral or bacterial infection, you could also send a picture of your eye and that may help me to determine which one it most likely is.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- I currently take cape aloe (aloe Ferox) everyday for constipation
- My husband just received a lab report. His SGOT is
- Chest x Ray was recorded as normal..for a work visa
- My son is 19 and is constantly cold . His
- I had constipation for the last week. It is gone
- Tip of penis stings when contacted by clothing, slight redness
- I have had two knee replacements - the first was
- hai I have a pain in my left arm since
- I have itchy scalp bumps. The doctors call it uticaria.
- what do when back is paining