My doctor prescribed me ivermectin for pinworms . I looked
Yes, Ivermectin works for pinworms
I'm Dr. Branch, thanks for using 'Ask a Doctor' service.
Pinworms (Enterobiasis) infections are often asymptomatic, but when they do have symptoms, usually cause anal itching. There are many treatment options for pinworms, and usually, it is treated with Albendazole, Mebendazole, or Pyrantel pamoate.
Even though Ivermectin is not usually used to treat pinworms, it does treat them well, and one regimen is 200mcg/kg (usually about 12 milligrams) given once and then 10 days later, which has a cure rate close to 100%.
Reinfection is common, despite effective therapy. In addition, all bedding and clothes should be washed. Hygienic measures, such as clipping of fingernails, frequent handwashing, and baths, are also helpful for reducing reinfection and spread of infection.
I hope that helps.
Please let me know if you have any questions about that and I would be glad to discuss it with you further.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- I currently take cape aloe (aloe Ferox) everyday for constipation
- My husband just received a lab report. His SGOT is
- Chest x Ray was recorded as normal..for a work visa
- My son is 19 and is constantly cold . His
- I had constipation for the last week. It is gone
- Tip of penis stings when contacted by clothing, slight redness
- I have had two knee replacements - the first was
- hai I have a pain in my left arm since
- I have itchy scalp bumps. The doctors call it uticaria.
- what do when back is paining