My daughter is brain damaged from birth and recently she

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Tue, 29 Jan 2019 in Brain and Spine
Question: My daughter is brain damaged from birth and recently she has had a increase in Depakote a medication for her occasional seizures and she has started to do some spontaneous actions like excessive anger etc and she will answer my question of "why did you do that" always with I don't know why. Could this be due to an increase in her Depakote?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
emotional lability and abnormal thinking can occur in some persons

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Depakote can cause emotional lability and abnormal thinking in 6% of persons according the medscape professional drug website which lists all of the possible side effects and their percentages.

Emotional lability and abnormal thinking can cause excessive anger and other abnormal emotional reactions.
Since her seizures are infrequent, you may want to consider discussing her reactions and dose with her doctors to see if they can make any adjustment.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions