question-icon

My daughter is 11 years old and has had a

Posted on Sun, 17 Mar 2019
Question: My daughter is 11 years old and has had a high fever of 103.5 for over 24 hours. It will go down 101 with acetaminophen and tylenol overlapping ever 4-6 hours.

She has an irritated throat and cough but no runny nose. Body aches in neck and cramps especially in one upper thigh. Weak and fatigued.

I would think its a normal cold except for the high fever and doesn't seem like flu because no stomach issues. Wondering if I should take her into to doctor or wait it out. Worried about meningitis or swine flu.
Answered by Dr. Prasad (50 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
A viral infection...

Detailed Answer:

The described symptoms - high grade fever, throat irritation, myalgia, weakness and fatiguabilty are typical of a viral infection. I will not be overly worried about the temperature as long as she is not drowsy with altered consciousness. Most viral infection resolve spontaneously over a few days. Incase she doesn't feel better in the next 3 days, then she will need to be evaluated for other causes.

So you can wait it for now. Continue acetaminophen / tylenol round the clock. Encourage her to drink fluids. Rest adequately. You may try tipid sponging to lower temperature whenever fever goes above 102 F.

Hope this answered your question. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Dr. Prasad