question-icon

My daughter has lost some weight shes about 5'3" and

Posted on Tue, 19 Feb 2019
Question: My daughter has lost some weight shes about 5'3" and weighs about 101LBS 17 yrs old. She just expressed concerns to me because she just got out of the shower and noticed some strands of hair that came off as she showered which alarmed her because it was more than usual. A few months ago she also broke out in a rash from what I think was hands mouth and feet. Any advice I'd appreciate it.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. (36 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Telogen effluvium

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to ask a doctor service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Hair loss is common post significant weight loss and post a major illness. This excess hair fall post a stressful event such as weight loss and illness, is known as Telogen Effluvium wherein the hair follicle gets shifted from growth phase (Anagen) to resting phase (Telogen) and is subsequently shed. Telogen effluvium is self limited as the resting hair follicle resumes its growth phase with time as the stressful event gets over. This may take 3-6 months. I suggest her to take a balanced nutritious diet. She may take an oral biotin supplement 5 -10 mg for a few months.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you need any more assistance
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist