My daughter, 25-year-old married, had pregnancy miscarriage 16 months ago.

Dr. Vaishalee Punj

Posted on Thu, 3 Jan 2019 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: My daughter, 25-year-old married, had pregnancy miscarriage 16 months ago. Now, she is pregnant since one month about and she has been informed by the doctor, throughout medical checkup, that she is infected with Herpes virus which may cause miscarriage again.
Doctor prescribes her to use Aciclovir 200mg five times a day, but when begins using the medicine she experience abdominal pain.
My concern is 1. Does Herpes virus cause miscarriage? 2. is there any alternative medicine? 3. What is the best cure for such case and prevent miscarriage?
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No medicine to prevent miscarriage

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to Ask A Doctor service.

I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Firstly I could not find herpes reports in attached reports. the report is about CMV.
CMV or Herpes virus doesnot cause miscarriage. Presence of active herpes or CMV infection may cause infection of baby during delivery if there is genital infection. In rare cases active infection maybe a cause of miscarriage.

Acyclovir is category B drug for use in pregnancy. A few doses should not harm but continuous use should be avoided in pregnancy.

As such no medicine to prevent miscarriage. She can simply take her precautions of taking rest and avoid lifting heavy weights.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr Vaishalee
Follow up: Dr. Vaishalee Punj 1 hour later
Is there any alternative medicine instead of Acyclovir, as it causes abdominal pain?
What is the use of Acyclovir? Finally, how harm is CMV?
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hyper-immune globulin

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

Thanks for reverting back with doubts.

CMV IgG is practically detectable in most people on serologic screening. Abortion with it is rare, and fetal infection or abnormality is also uncommon. An ultrasound during pregnancy is needed to find if there is fetal abnormality.

Since your daughters IgM is negative, it means that she doesnot have active infection. So her baby getting affected is rare. We can also send her blood sample to find if there is any virus present. Otherwise unnecessay medicines are not needed.

Acyclovir is an anti-viral medicine. It kills some of the viruses but not all.
Hyperimmune globulin is recommended in pregnancy as prophylaxis.
Valacyclovir and famcyclovir are other alternatives.

Hope this clears your doubt. Feel free to write back.
Dr Vaishalee