My daughter, 25-year-old married, had pregnancy miscarriage 16 months ago.
Doctor prescribes her to use Aciclovir 200mg five times a day, but when begins using the medicine she experience abdominal pain.
My concern is 1. Does Herpes virus cause miscarriage? 2. is there any alternative medicine? 3. What is the best cure for such case and prevent miscarriage?
No medicine to prevent miscarriage
Hello and welcome to Ask A Doctor service.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.
Firstly I could not find herpes reports in attached reports. the report is about CMV.
CMV or Herpes virus doesnot cause miscarriage. Presence of active herpes or CMV infection may cause infection of baby during delivery if there is genital infection. In rare cases active infection maybe a cause of miscarriage.
Acyclovir is category B drug for use in pregnancy. A few doses should not harm but continuous use should be avoided in pregnancy.
As such no medicine to prevent miscarriage. She can simply take her precautions of taking rest and avoid lifting heavy weights.
Hope this helps. Let me know if I can assist you further.
What is the use of Acyclovir? Finally, how harm is CMV?
Thanks for reverting back with doubts.
CMV IgG is practically detectable in most people on serologic screening. Abortion with it is rare, and fetal infection or abnormality is also uncommon. An ultrasound during pregnancy is needed to find if there is fetal abnormality.
Since your daughters IgM is negative, it means that she doesnot have active infection. So her baby getting affected is rare. We can also send her blood sample to find if there is any virus present. Otherwise unnecessay medicines are not needed.
Acyclovir is an anti-viral medicine. It kills some of the viruses but not all.
Hyperimmune globulin is recommended in pregnancy as prophylaxis.
Valacyclovir and famcyclovir are other alternatives.
Hope this clears your doubt. Feel free to write back.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Breathlessness, dizziness. Have PVCs. When do you know they are causing...
- Having abdominal pain, vomiting and diarrhea. On antitubercular...
- Baby started teething. Diet plan to increase weight?
- Having protected sex. Started spotting before period. Taking midol for...
- Broke my distal fibula. On elavil for cold feet. Having sensory nerve...
- Took regestrone for hyperplacia. Again started with irregular and heavy...
- Taking SN-15 for bad throat. Having speaking difficulty. Prescribed...
- What is the normal penis size in flaccid and erect state?
- Have itching on the penis, premature ejaculation and erectile...
- Taking lupron. Feeling weak and started sweating. What is the underlying...