My daughter 20 months old is suffering from ear wax

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Wed, 23 Jan 2019 in Child Health
Question: My daughter 20 months old is suffering from ear wax accumulated in both ears. Doctor advised us to put few drops of olive oil to get it clear. we are in dilemma whether to proceed with that or not, because every night she is crying and tugging/ pulling her ear - we observed a very bad smell and strange sounds from her ear.

Please help
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Ear examination needed. Antibiotics likely to be needed

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using the Ask a Doctor service.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concern. Rather than putting olive oil, there are other fomulations available for cleaning ear wax (eg. Ceruclean Drop) which I will insist you to apply three to four times a day for the next few days. Since there is a bad smell, the ear needs to be examined and antibiotic drops like Ciplox Drop (can also come as eye drop, but it is the same thing) four times daily in the ear for the next 4-5 days. You might also need to give steam inhalation to the child.

I would strongly insist you to visit an ENT doctor to get the child evaluated.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj