My dad has turned 64 and i noticed that he

Dr. Prasad

Posted on Mon, 21 Jan 2019 in Brain and Spine
Question: My dad has turned 64 and i noticed that he uses 3-4 times a day thing instead of The word that he wants to actually use and once or twice a day he forgets something and remembers it afterwards does he have alzheimers is it dementia
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Need evaluation...

Detailed Answer:

Dementia is a broad condition and it refers to memory loss. Besides alzheimer's other condition including aging, nutritional deficiency, hormones and so on are causes of dementia.

I understand you are concerned about alzheimer's. We will be able to confirm / rule out alzheimer's after thorough evaluation. Neurologist will evaluate his neurological functions, cognitive functions, mental state followed by battery of blood tests and brain scans. A diagnosis will be formulated based on results of all these evaluation. I will strongly recommend visiting a neurologist as and when possible.

In the meanwhile, it is important that he stays positive. Family and friends support will be crucial to your father's recovery. Fruits, vegetables and vitamin supplements will benefit him.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad