Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

My child is having bent leg. Should I consult a pediatric orthopedic?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 1444 Questions
My name is XXXXXX I am writing to you seeking advice for my daughter (she would complete 2 Yrs on 3rd May, 2013).
When my daughter was born and as she was growing we noticed her both legs was bending outwards like a bow.
When we spoke with our pediatrician, he said since she started to walk quite early due to the body weight increasing, it would take time to get normal.
As time passed by, her right leg looks normal. However her left leg is bent from the knee to the ankle.
Now, we are asked to consult a pediatric orthopedic.

Kindly advice.

0000 0000.

Posted Tue, 16 Apr 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us.

I understand your concern.

Your daughter had bilateral bowing of legs (genu varum) initially and now it is in one leg only.

Causes are;
Physiological-which is usually seen in less than 2 years of age and is self limiting and corrects once child starts putting weight.
Pathological- mostly due rickets, skeletal dysplasia

I suggest you to get her evaluated by orthopedician for proper examination and to see degree of varus deformity.

-Plain X XXXXXXX of leg is required to see degree of deformity.

Management will depend on cause.
-In case of rickets it is managed medically.
-In case it is progressive in nature surgical procedure is done which includes variety of options ranging from bracing, guided growth to osteotomy.

Hope I have answered your query; let me know if you have any other question.

Wishing your child good health.

God bless!!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: My child is having bent leg. Should I consult a pediatric orthopedic? 1 hour later
Hi Dr. Synthyia Bhagat,

Thank you for your email.

Firstly, is this a major concern. XXXXXXX (my daughter), is our first child and everyone in the family are very concerned.

Per your advice, we will consult a pediatric orthopedic. Would there be any website wherein I could visit and learn more. This would help me in explaining it to my family.

We reside in Andheri (Marol) and I am curious to know if you know any pediatric orthopedic surgeon within Marol (Andheri--East) or close to Marol (Andheri--East).

Thaking you in anticipation for your reply.

0000 0000.
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 7 hours later
I understand the concern of your family. But relax; it does not seem to be a major problem. As I mentioned treatment depends on cause and degree of deformity. Mild valgum can get corrected by 4 to 5 years of age.

You can learn about genu valgum on following sites;
Frankly as I practice far away I do not have personal reference of pediatric orthopedician at Andheri/Mumbai. However if you have plans to visit Delhi, I think you should consider visiting reputed institutes like AIIMS for consultation.

Hope this helps. If you have any other question I would be glad to help.

Take care!!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor