My blood sugar is high, i visited a doctor today

Dr. Yogesh D

Posted on Thu, 31 Jan 2019 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: My blood sugar is high, i visited a doctor today did blood and urine test and got the results. A few days ago my blood sugar was 26.2, the doctor gave me meds and insulin to use. It has significantly reduced but the problem is the red blood cells have increased and white blood cells have decreased in my body,how concerned should i be about this ?

I also have alocepia, hair loss , could the count in blood cells be the reason for it?

Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Blood sugar needs further control, RBC and WBCs are in normal range.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to Ask A Doctor service.

I have gone through the attached reports and the blood sugar is now much lower than earlier, and white blood cells and red blood cells are within normal range so do not worry about them at all.

You must focus on reducing the blood sugar levels by diet restriction and taking the insulin and other medicines prescribed by your doctor regularly, as advised by your doctor.

You need to keep a tight control of blood sugar levels by following up with your treating doctor at least once in 15 days to once a month.

Since RBC counts and WBC counts are normal, do not link it to alopecia.

Hope that answers your query for now.

Best regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Yogesh D 11 hours later
In the report ,it shows increase(TANG) for red blood cells and decrease for white blood cells, why does it show that?

I have hair loss due to alocepia, 50% of my hair is gone, i tried minidoxil 5 mg, doesnt seem to work
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Not significantly high, due water loss in urine because of high sugars.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

HCT is shown to be higher and that means the volume of RBCs as a percentage of total volume of blood is 51% and it is in your case very likely due to water loss in urine as a result of high blood sugar levels.

Essentially there is haemoconcentration going on that is reflected as high HCT.

Continue to drink enough water, and keep your sugar levels under control.

MCHC is marginally lower, not at all significant.

WBCs are within normal limits.

I hope that clears your doubt.

Best regards