My blood pressure this evening has registered at 184/80. I

Dr. Antoneta Zotaj

Posted on Mon, 31 Dec 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My blood pressure this evening has registered at 184/80. I am 82 tears old
Answered by Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detailed explanation below

Detailed Answer:

If you do not experience any other symptoms with this blood pressure like headache, vision changes, nausea, dizziness, heart pounding, chest pain, shortness or breath or neurological symptoms (weakness or tingling in extremities or difficulty swallowing or problems with speech), very likely there is nothing to worry at the moment. Just try to relax and measure the blood pressure in 1-2 hours, very likely it will be much better. Try to avoid drinks that have caffeine like cola, coffee or energy drinks and avoid situations that might be stressful to you.

If none of the above symptoms is present generally it is safe for you to monitor your blood pressure tonight and see your doctor the next day.

If you develop any of the symptoms mentioned above other then the high blood pressure it might be good for you to see a doctor soon to make sure all is well and rule out possible complications.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Antoneta Zotaj
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad