My baby is 6 days old delivered at around 36

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Wed, 30 Jan 2019 in Child Health
Question: My baby is 6 days old delivered at around 36 to 37 weeks. She doesn't wake up and cries for feeds by herself. I have to wake her up. is this fine?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No need to worry

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using the Ask a Doctor service.

I have gone through your query and understand your concerns. Let me assure you that a newborn can sleep 20 hours a day and there is nothing to worry about.

Let me emphasize on the fact that breast milk is the best possible milk for a baby and there can be no alternatives for the same. You need not wake up the child to feed her. Feed her as per demand. All you need to do is to monitor the urine output. If the frequency is more than 6 times in 24 hours, you would know that the amount of feeding is adequate. If the amount of passage of urine is less chances are that you need to wake her as the feed is inadequate. Only ig the child is lethargic you would need to take the child to a doctor without delay.

Let me know if you have further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 26 hours later
Baby has caught cold today.. she is sneezing. what should I do?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 0 minute later
Brief Answer:
Normal

Detailed Answer:
Let me assure you that sneezing, hiccups or coughing are normal in a newborn and they do not indicate that the child is suffering from cold. Nothing needs to be done about it.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad