My SGPT and GGT level is high. Is it dangerous? What does this mean?
Thanks for writing in.
SGPT and GGTP are liver enzymes which can increase in a number of disease conditions.
The exact diagnosis will depend on the exact numerical value of these enzymes in conjunction with other liver function tests like S.Bilirubin, direct and indirect segments as well as SGOT, serum proteins etc..
These enzymes can increase in a variety of conditions including certain viral infections, alcohol consumption, certain drugs etc..
It is rather difficult to comment based on just the two enzymes you had mentioned. If you can provide me a little more background information and the entire set of results, we can discuss this further.
Thank you very much doc for your answer.
Thanks for the detailed report. The liver function seems to be alright. There is a very insignificant increase in SGPT and GGTP. Rest all are normal. This is not a thing of worry. If you consume alcohol you should try avoid. If you do not consume alcohol then you should check on your cholesterol. Avoiding fatty foods and brisk walking everyday for 30min should settle these enzymes. I suggest you repeat these tests again after 6 weeks. No medications are required at the moment.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Normal sgot and sgpt, high ggt
- Dietary control for high sgpt and ggt
- High ggt level and normal sgot and sgpt atorvastatin
- What happens in high ggt level
- What is considered a high ggt level
- What are the health dangers of having high ggt levels
- What does lft test indicating sgot-590 sgpt-1085 and ggt-300 mean
- What does increased sgpt and ggt indicate
- Detox and sgot sgpt ggt
- What causes high ggt levels