My PSA jumped form 3.7 to 5, and then back

Dr. Anders Mark Christensen

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 24 Jan 2019 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: My PSA jumped form 3.7 to 5, and then back down to 4.72. My 4K test result was 8. I was supposed to do an MRI, but the insurance company declined. So, instead, the PA at the urology office did an ultrasound to check the size of prostate. She said it was 176, approx 4 times larger than a normal prostate. Therefore, 4.72 is not a very high number taking into account its size. What is bothering me is the PSA jumped from 3.7 to 4.72 in 10 months. It had been in a range of 3 to 4 for almost 10 years. Is it still a concern?
Answered by Dr. Anders Mark Christensen 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Repeat the PSA in a month's time

Detailed Answer:
Hi Dkurz,

I suggest you repeat the PSA in a month's time. If it continues to increase, an MRI would probably be reimbursed by your insurance. I wouldn't say that it is a concern at the moment.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad