My NIPT test result is negative but it was diagnosed

Dr. Purva Patel

Posted on Thu, 20 Dec 2018 in Child Health
Question: My NIPT test result is negative but it was diagnosed unilateral mild ventriculomegaly. Are there any chance of chromosomal abnormality
Answered by Dr. Purva Patel 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
chances of chromo. abnormality is negligible but possible.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to Ask A Doctor services.
I have read your query and here is my advise.

* As NIPT test is negative, chances of chromosomal abnormalities are negligible but still possible in cases where it is false negative ( it is not as accurate as invasive tests ).

* The ventriculomegaly is unilateral which indicates more possible benign condition and the 10.8 mm size is considered borderline enlargement with minor chances of increase in head circumference at birth, around 3-4 % chances of chromosomal abnormalities theoretically but less than that actually.

* It is the subsequent evaluation with comparison of the ventricular size more important over period of time rather than a single reading.

Hope this helps you to clear your doubt.
Would like to assist further in this regard anytime.

Wish you best pregnancy outcome.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad