Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

147 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

My Mom aged 56 has long history of joint pains

Answered by
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Practicing since :1994

Answered : 11805 Questions

Posted on Tue, 18 Dec 2018 in Back Pain
Question: My Mom aged 56 has long history of joint pains, she has Arthiritis. Took her to multiple hospitals, she took medicine for sometime but not taking now the RF factor was 210 as per previous reports.
She has vitamin deficiency too. Please suggest.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consult with a Rheumatologist.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query.

Raised Rheumatoid factor does not confirm Rheumatoid arthritis and is present in many other diseases like Systemic lupus erythematosus(SLE), Chronic viral infection, Bacterial Endocarditis, Dermatomyositis, Infectious Mononucleosis, Systemic Sclerosis.

It would be better to discuss about this with a Rheumatologist. He is the right specialist, who can pin point the diagnosis. They are trained to treat such disorders.
There are different drugs used in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis. Some are used primarily to ease the symptoms of RA; others are used to slow or stop the course of the disease and to inhibit structural damage.
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are available over-the-counter and by prescription. They are used to help ease arthritis pain and inflammation. NSAIDs include such drugs as ibuprofen, ketoprofen and naproxen sodium.
DMARDs are drugs that work to modify the course of the disease. Traditional DMARDs include methotrexate, hydroxycholorquine, sulfasalazine, leflunomide.

Arthritis requires expert care with various disease modifying drugs (Imunomodulators). You can start these drugs after discussing with your doctor
Following these measures might help her :
1. Follow regular exercises like feet exercises, walking which you are following at present, Stretching exercises.
2. Hot fomentation might help during episodes of severe pain.
3. You can also see a physiotherapist for particular joint exercises
She can also take vitamin supplement for vitamin deficiency .
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on