Owl Image

Ask a Urologist   »  

My Dr. prescribed two different anti-biotics for my bladder infection.

Question
My Dr. prescribed two different anti-biotics for my bladder infection. One is like Cinopril, it is Levofloxicin 500 . (levaquin) The other is Smz/Tmp Ds 800 160 mg . I have some kind of ear infection which is affecting my sound transfer via the eustakian tubes. Can U opine as to which is the safest or maybe the best for me. The levaquin is 7 days and the Smz is for 5 days. XXXXXXX Orange , CA
Fri, 9 Feb 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Eni 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Levofloxacin 500

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dear,
I have read your question and I understand your concern,

Bladder infections in males are always treated as complicated cases, and the drug of choice in this case is Levofloxacin 500.

Smz/Tmp would have been better for your ear, but it does not have that much effect on your bladder infection.

By the way, are you sure you have an infection in your ear? Do you have a fever, pain in your ear, noise, and infected fluid coming out of your ear? If not, then it may be some other problem in the middle ear, and I would highly recommend you to see an ENT (Ear Nose Throat) specialist.

In the meantime, you can take the Levofloxacin for your bladder.

Hope I have answered your question. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish you good health!
Manoku Eni M.D.