My Age is 56 and I am diabetic. I recently

Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist

Posted on Fri, 30 Mar 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My Age is 56 and I am diabetic. I recently got my blood tests done and notice with concern that my Lipoprotein (A)[LP(A)] is 95.7 mg/dl whereas the normal range is <30.0 mg/dl. I understand from Google that this is linked to high risk for cardio vascular disease. Though I do not have any problem at the moment, but I am concerned. I seek your advise on this issue pl. I am enclosing herewith my complete blood test report (108 tests done). Please advise me if I require any treatment.
Follow up: Dr. Bhanu Partap 1 minute later
I have attached the complete blood test report pl.
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need to start treatment for high cholesterol

Detailed Answer:
Hello Sir

After going through your medical details I understand your concern for your health and I would like to tell you that high Lipoprotein levels in the body generally indicates towards high cholesterol deposits in the arteries which increases the tisk of cardiovascular diseases.

Aa you are diabetic you are at high risk to have high cholesterol than a healthy person. I’ve gone through all of your blood reports and are showing you have good control on diabetes in last 3 months but your fasting sugars are litle not which needs to taken care of.

I’ve seen lipid profile as well in which again your triglycerides are high which can cause you coronary artery disease. This should be managed with

1. Dietary modification

2. Daily physical activity

3. Medication for high cholesterol

It’s advisable for you to consult with you Endocrinologist or Diabetes Specialist Personally to start new medication.

You should also get basic cardiac evaluation done which includes ECG, Echocardiography and a treadmill test that will be a preventive measure for cardiovascular disease.

Hopefully this information will answer your query.

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu Partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Bhanu Partap 21 minutes later
I have already consulted Endocrinologist and the following medicines I am taking for the last 2 years :-

1. Gluconorm SR 1G - morning evening

for Cholestrol, I am taking Rozavel 10 mg for the last 1 year.

Please advise if I need to start some medicine to reduce my Lipoprotein (A)[LP(A)] level.
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
No need to worry

Detailed Answer: XXXXXXX as you are already taking rozavel for your cholesterol levels and also maintains healthy lifestyle routine so there is no need to add any other medication because from your lupus profile reports I can see you have good levels of HDL which is considered as good cholesterol and normal levels of ldl which is a bad cholesterol so there is nothing to worry.

Situation become worrisome when LP a goes high along with high levels of LDL cholesterol. But as in your case ldl is withinin normal range so there is no need to add any other medication.

Just stay physically active with daily exercise and healthy diet and you will be fine.

I hope this information will relieve your concern

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu Partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad