My 99 year old mother, who lives with my sister,
Has her GI tract/digestive system deteriorated or regressed to the point where she will alternate between constipation and explosive bowel movements? Should we take her to a GI specialist? Given her immobility, can anything really help?
There may still be remedies
I am sorry to hear about your mother's troubles. Being completely immobilized carries many issues as you point out, and alternating diarrhea and constipation is not uncommon. I suggest a high fibre diet as you mention, as this tends to solidify the stools without causing or exacerbating constipation. Furthermore, I advise you to see a gastroenterologist or a colorectal surgeon, as surgery with a permanent stomach may be a solution, unless your mother is very ill and fragile.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have further questions.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- I have ulcerative colitis and have had it for 12
- I have sharp pains that come in waves that feel
- Hi, My wife had an urine infection for last 4
- I have severe pain going all around my mid section
- My PCP precribed a sonogram of my abdomen because he
- Hey doctor, For the last couple of months I have
- My mother has stage 4 ovarian cancer . Her medical
- Yes Please. About a week ago I started to have
- I have a question about Prostatitis . For the past
- I have been having sudden onset’s of direreah that has