My 82 yr old husband is generally in good health.

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Tue, 26 Mar 2019 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My 82 yr old husband is generally in good health. Prescription meds he takes: 5 mg lisinopril for blood pressure and 6 mg generic Excellon 2 x/ day for early to mid-stage Alzheimer%E2%80%99s.

Earlier today he suddenly experienced severe chills, shaking uncontrollably, fingers and palms turning opaque white for about an hour. His temperature was 99.6. Glucose was 127 two hours after eating, which for him is not unusual. He has been napping since this episode, feeling exhausted.

It was suggested by one of your doctors to take ibuprofen 200 mg. By the time I bought the ibuprofen, the chills had stopped, so he did not take it.

Now, 4 hours later, his temp is 100.5. What should I do?

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
may be an early viral illness

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Chills accompany a fever and both symptoms can be intermittent. They are usually due to the presence of an infection. Most common infections are viral or bacterial, with viral being the more common of the two.

He would want to wrap up when the chills restart , this is the natural response but bundling up will increase his body temperature.

He can use tylenol for the fever initially, it would be safer on the stomach then ibuprofen but if it does not improve then you can add ibuprofen but his stomach would need to be coated with either a small amount of food or drink.
Cool or cold drinks and tepid sponging- can also help with fever

Without additional symptoms, it would not be possible to determine the exact type of infection eg no cough or cold symptoms or vomiting or pain etc

If the fever does not improve or worsens or any worrying symptoms develop, he should be seen

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions