question-icon

My 7yr old grand son had a really sore throat

Posted on Fri, 22 Mar 2019
Question: My 7yr old grand son had a really sore throat for two days with a slight fever of 99 degrees. The throat is better but now he has a stuffy nose and a upper body rash and the inside of his mouth is red and looks to be blotchy paces on his face. He has had rashes before when he was sick.
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Most likely due to some infection

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for being on 'Ask A Doctor' service.

I have gone through the query and do understand your concern.
Fever, sore throat and rashes on the mentioned area can be due to some infection. Viral infections are much common or than a bacterial one.

Usually, viral infections and its manifestations improve with Conservative treatment like medications for fever, decongestants, and application of some emollients over the rashes.

I won't get overly worried if the child is otherwise active, taking fluids/feeds well, passing urine and also as the sore throat is improving.

I request you to consult a pediatrician for clinical evaluation as skin rashes are best assessed by direct examination.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology