question-icon

My 2.8 year daughter has worms and itching her anus

Posted on Fri, 8 Mar 2019
Question: My 2.8 year daughter has worms and itching her anus area. We have given her Zental 10ml 4.5 months back and please let me know if we can giver her the medicine again now before six months?
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
You can give Albendazole (Zentel)

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for being on Ask A Doctor platform.

I can understand your concern.

Zental contains albendazole and it can be given safely if there is no past history of allergy.
You can give the same dose at bedtime after food and repeat it after 2 weeks for a better result.

Do also teach her to maintain proper hygiene like good hand wash, cut overgrown nails and to avoid scratching of the anal area.

Clean all the clothes and bed sheets with warm water to destroy any eggs.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar (26 minutes later)
Thank you for your response.

I have given Zentol 10ml full dosage today. Are you suggesting to give one more dosage of 10ml again after 2 weeks? Please confirm.

Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar (2 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Yes, for better effect

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for following up...

The effect would be better if you repeat the dose after 15 days and all the members (both adults and children) suffering from symptoms should be treated at the same time.

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology