question-icon

My 23 months old is hving loose poop (curd type)

Posted on Wed, 20 Feb 2019
Question: My 23 months old is hving loose poop (curd type) n yellow colour 4 times a day since yestrdy...Doctor had prescribed Himalaya Diarex syrup 5 days,Tufpro 3 days n zinconia syrup for 14 days...
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D (55 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Can continue Tufpro suspension and Zinconia syrup, stop diarex

Detailed Answer:
Hello Mr XXXXXXX

Welcome to Ask a Doctor service.

We do not know what exactly is present in the Himalaya Diarex because these are not tested and studied like actual medicines that we prescribe (like antibiotics).

An evidence based medicine practitioner would not advise such baseless hence potentially harmful formulations for children.

Tufpro can be useful in limited quantities if the enteritis is caused by bacteria, but if it is caused by viruses, which is more common, it will not help.

Zinconia syrup will be useful.

Please continue feeding your child normally, (freshly prepared home food), and give your child plenty of liquids in the form of fresh fruit juices and plain water.

Observe for signs of dehydration like drowsiness and irritability, and check the body temperature often. If your child develops fever or if the frequency and quantity of stools increases, then please admit in a hospital for fluid resuscitation.

If there is no fever, then the loose stools will subside without any treatment in about 5 to 6 days, adequate hydration is all that is required during that time.

I hope that answers your query.

Wishing your child a speedy recovery.

Best regards
Dr. Yogesh D